At Jacob’s Well, a Baltimore nonprofit, has provided supportive and transitional housing for homeless, mentally ill residents for more than 35 years. Our mission is “to promote dignity, accountability and self-esteem in order to improve the quality of life and residential stability of our clients.” We are now seeking a new leader who will help us to continue to meet that mission and lead our growth into the future.
Established in 1985 and incorporated in 1986, At Jacob’s Well (AJW) works to end the cycle of homelessness for mentally ill men and women by providing them supportive housing that promotes their dignity and recognizes their individual accountability. Our program provides transitional and subsidized housing for 37 residents.
Our Executive Director serves as the CEO of the organization and reports to the Board of Directors. The selected candidate will be responsible for maintaining the properties and buildings, attaining financial and operational targets, managing the program and meeting the needs of our residents.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Director is responsible for all activities and operations of the organization. Specifically, those duties are:
- Develops policies and procedures for the organization and is highly responsive in meeting the daily needs of residents. Establishes and coordinates case management programs that meet or exceed contract requirements.
- Maintains buildings and physical assets in a highly operational state. Immediately responds to building emergencies such as fire or loss of water or power and manages recovery. Searches for new properties as needed for program growth and manages the purchase and rehabilitation of those properties.
- Supervises and directs 3 staff members. Ensures that staff interacts positively with residents and meets their needs.
- Develops an annual budget and manages and oversees organizational expenditures to make sure that financial targets are met.
- Manages contracts with Baltimore City and Behavioral Health Systems Baltimore and ensures that AJW meets contract requirements.
- Works collaboratively with the Board of Directors and provides proactive communication on all organizational matters, particularly including financial status and property management.
- A professional level of knowledge as acquired through completion of a bachelor’s degree (Human Services field or similar is highly desirable, but not required). Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a human services position. Demonstrated experience with residential services, property management and government contract management as acquired during 2 to 5 years of progressively more responsible management experience. Experience in working with government contracts and funders is highly desirable.
- Thorough knowledge of management principles including staff management and fiscal controls. Demonstrated mastery of management skills and principals. Proven leadership ability.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing with all stakeholders including residents, funders, board members and the public.
- Strong analytical and computational skills. Experience with budgets, financial tools and financial reporting. Experience in providing financial and operational reports required by government entities and funders is highly desirable.
We offer a competitive salary with bonus potential (based on performance), healthcare benefits, paid vacation/sick leave and a SIMPLE IRA.
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or Board President, At Jacob’s Well Inc., 325 E. 25th Street, Baltimore, MD 21218.
For a PDF copy of this job description, click here